Whether you are into sports, music, dance or have any other interests, you simply cannot deny the fact that watching videos help in improving skills. However, when you are trying to learn a sport such as golf or trying to learn a fast form of dance, you may spend hours watching various videos again and again and still not get a grasp of the right moves. Well, in such cases video motion analysis software can be of great help.
How to make a video slow motion with a video software?
Video motion software like Video Surgeon can be of great help to those who want to learn any form of art or sport watching videos. This is because it allows you to watch your favorite videos in slow motion. It can do wonders to your learning ability.
You may not be aware of this but you can definitely make drastic improvement in learning a skill when you watch each step in great depth. In today’s world technology has advanced so much that you can use video motion software anywhere on smartphone, tab or your laptop.
With the help of such software you can analyze the moves of world’s greatest artists, performers and sportsperson and learn a skill directly from your favorite people. You can also record your own videos and analyze flaws in your performance with the help of this tool.
Although there are several types of video motion analysis software available in the market, I would highly recommend Video Surgeon. It has a very user friendly interface that has five important sections. These sections have been marked in the illustration below:
Main Video Screen
Open your video:
It is important to have video in digital form on your hard disk or DVD before you make any changes to it. If you want to watch videos on the internet in slow motion, Video Surgeon can first download it on your computer and then allow you to watch it in slow motion.
To open a video, click on open button and browse to the location where the video is stored.
Once you have selected the video it will be imported as shown below:
There are some more ways to open a video:
Right click on the ‘Open’ button and it will show you links to previously opened videos. This option is useful if you want to quickly open a video that you had been recently working on.
Open window explorer and drag and drop the video to the main video screen of Video Surgeon.
To open videos from DVD you will have to click on ‘RIP’ button on the top menu
To open Videos available online click on the ‘Sniffer’ button on the top menu. The ‘Main Sniffer’ allows you to down load from 90% of the websites that host videos and ‘YouTube Sniffer’ is a new feature that has been designed to download videos from YouTube.
So, besides the videos stored on the hard disk of your computer you can access videos from:
Video surgeon offers some great features that can be really useful for analyzing a video. Let’s have a look at some of these features:
1. You can apply a tempo or speed change to the video that can be anywhere from 25% to 200% of the original.
3. The reset button in tempo section is used to reset the speed to default value of 100%.
4. You have ‘+’ and ‘-‘ buttons to increase or decrease the speed. Alternatively, you can also use the slider to 5. change speed. Buttons are provided to directly get the speed of 25%, 30%, 40%, 50% or 75% of the original speed. Note: If you want to play a video at a speed lower than 25% then you will have to export the video at 25% and then reduce the tempo.
5. The changes applied to the video can be viewed using the Video Surgeon software. You also have the option to make these changes permanent so that they can be played without the support of video surgeon.
6. When the tempo of the video is reduced, the whole video is affected except for places that have loops. Tempo of loops will have to be changed individually.
(Watching my favorite video on tempo speed of 25%)
Audio Video Features
1. Video surgeon maintains the synchronization between the audio and video when the changes are applied. This I believe is one of the strongest features of this tool. A mismatch in audio and video can cause lot of confusion especially if you are trying to analyze a musical performance. It does not make any sense slowing the video if it has to cause lot of distortion.
2. Video Surgeon allows you to zoom into videos while they are playing or paused. It can zoom in to as much as 32X and if the video is of high quality then you may not encounter pixilation issues while zooming in.
3. You can print the frame to which you have applied zoom.
4. You can apply zoom to a video, export it and then create a new video.
5. You can create a loop for a certain portion of the video for playing it repetitively and then apply speed change or zooming to these loops for better analysis. This means that you can play a zoomed in video repetitively in slow motion with the help of loops. You can create loops by defining the start and end point. For every loop you can define tempo and/or pitch setting.
How to create Loops:
The start and the end button available in ‘Loop Controls’ can be used to create a loop. Play the video and when you reach the point where you want to set up a loop, click on the start button. This will insert a green arrow in the loop area to identify the beginning of this loop.
As you can see in the above video that I have set the tempo for this loop to 25% because this particular section has an interesting dance step which I would like to see in slow motion. Whenever the player enters this loop it will repetitively play the loop at the tempo that has been set for it.
Let the video play and when you reach the point where you want to end the loop click on the ‘End’ button. This will mark the end of loop with a red arrow.
There is another faster way of inserting loop in the video. Slide the slider in loop area approximately to the point where you feel that you want to insert the loop. He screen will show what is happening in the video at that point. Adjust the slider to get the exact moment and then right click in the loop area section to set the start and end point of the loop. You can also give a name to a loop. Just right click on the starting point of the loop in the loop area and click on the ‘Edit’ option.
Now, you can type the new name in the ‘Label’ text field.
Now that you have spent so much time creating a slow motion video, let’s save it so you can share it with your friends, team mates, and colleagues.
When you click on the ‘Export’ button you will see three options:
Export entire video: exports the entire video with all the changes made to it.
Export Current Loop: helps you export the loop that you are currently watching
Export All loops: exports all the loops in the video and deletes the other section of the video
When you try to export a video you have several options:
A file name is required so that you don’t override the current video.
the ‘Save as type’ drop down provides several options:
The default option is set to AVI video. Another option that is set to default is that the video is exported same as original quality. If you are an expert in video editing you may want to change this option to make advance changes.
You can insert silence in video.
You can change the volume.
You can cut or delete sections in the video and you can also copy and paste new sections to the video.
One of the most amazing features is that you can open two instances of Video Surgeon and then copy paste information from one instance to the other thereby creating customized composite videos from a string of other videos.
Video Downloading Capability:
Video surgeon comes with an enhanced dual sniffer module which has the ability to download videos from 90% of all websites.
Video surgeon also has a module that is designed specifically for YouTube. It is a very reliable feature and it downloads videos at greater speed and you have option for multiple downloads.
When watching a video in slow motion (especially when it is zoomed in) it is important to have a lot of clarity. Video Surgeon allows good quality zoom in, audio-video synchronization of speed change. It is inexpensive and very user friendly. Video surgeon is also available for four hours free trial. I would highly recommend it to those who are looking for video motion analysis software.